Momma look, I have blue eyes...just like you!

Here is our Mark succeeding in being his funny self.  He came to me and declared "Mommy look at me I have blue eyes just like you!"  I am not sure if you remember, but one of his favorite Christmas gifts was a package of blue sticky tack.  His love for the stuff has diminished somewhat so he surprised me when he came to me with his little "blue eyes" stuck on his glasses.  Mark was killing himself laughing as he thought his little game was hilarious.  Indeed it was quite funny, however what it told me was that he is now seeing that we look different.  When we were in Toronto recently visiting his brother, his Dad and I noticed that he stared at another Asian man in the elevator for quite some time.  The curiosity was mutual as I could also see that this Asian man was staring back, likely trying to figure out why this obviously Caucasian couple were gadding about with a small Asian boy.  But back to Mark's little joke...yes we shared a laugh about his little trick but I filed it away in my mind.  Mark sees that he is different and I am going to have to have some conversations in the future about how that will play out in his life.  For now he is a very happy little boy and I hope that he will carry that into his teens and adult life.  Yes Mark you have blue eyes like Mommy but it is only pretend and we can laugh about it.  My job as a Mother is to make sure that you are comfortable in your real skin.  Someone who is proud to be Asian and yet also proud to have blue eyed parents.  I pray that you will be loved and accepted for who you are because you are a wonderful son and the best boy a Momma could ever wish for.  Hopefully everyone else will see that too.  You are a very special boy.

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment