This is mighty fine hay...tastes good!





Momma had a very serious job today.  While Mark and Mommy were waiting for Daddy to finish bringing in the round bales of hay...Momma taught Mark how to taste the hay.  I would not be any kind of a farm Momma if I did not give him a lesson in this, so here is Mark trying out the sweet tender ends of the timothy hay stem.  This year we have had lots and lots of rain so the ends are very soft, juicy and delicious.  First I had to show him which grass was the timothy hay and demonstrate how to pull the tuft out of the shaft with a firm gentleness that will make it pull up without breaking the tender end.  If you do not do it right it may break off and you only get a dry hard end and that is not good for tasting.  Next you look at the stem to make sure there is no bugs or aphid spit on it (looks like white frothy bubbles) and then you put the tender stem end into your mouth and chew on it.  I am sure that this "tasting of the hay" has been going on for centuries.  Well at least here on the farm it has been.  Mark is taking this very seriously and the last photo is the best.  I was just able to catch Mark's smile of approval..."I like to eat the hay Mommy...it tastes good!"  Yes son I like to eat hay too.  Mark is a farmer, I can see it in his eyes.  Those beautiful eyes!  Momma can hardly stand it...I love you son.  These are his two favorite songs that I sing to him all the time..."I love you in the morning.  I love you at noon.  I love you at supper time and bedtime too.  I love you when you are happy.  I love you when you are sad.  I even love you Markie when you are really, really mad".  Our other song is "I love my little Markie, he's my only son.  I love my little Markie, he is the one.  He made me a Mother!  He made me a Mom!  I love my little Markie he's my precious son!  As your Daddy says often to me..."Do you know how fine you are to me?"

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment