A mid-winter guest...what to do with a visiting toad!

Strange things have been known to happen here on the farm and this is a tale of such epic proportions.  On my way to the basement to bring the dogs in, I discovered this little fellow at the bottom of the cellar steps.  Where in the heck did he come from and how long has he been a stow-away in the basement?  As you know the long days of winter have set in and turning him out into the cold would be inhumane and inevitably end in his premature demise.  So, I did what I tend to do best.  I scooped him up and deposited him into the nearest appropriate habitat.  Before one decides that I have completely lost my mind...I ask you what would you have done?  This garden variety toad is our friend and contributes to our comfort by eating a host of flies, mosquitoes and other such undesired plagues of summer.  I cannot imagine where he has been or how he has eluded detection until this point. To my knowledge there are no openings from the outside in to our basement.  I wonder perhaps, if our dog Daisy (the toad harraser), actually found him in the garage and carried his hibernating self into our abode via her gentle retriever yap.  No matter the circumstances I am now charged with the care, keep and comfort of this uninvited house guest.  I have been looking for the elusive odd house fly that has escaped my detection to this point and offering this tasty snack to my guest.  So far he is quite happy to dine at my table. 

 I am hoping that he will stay put until I can let him go outside again.  I am also fearful that in the event of his escape and detection by any legitimate house guests, who may discover him at an inopportune time, that they will consider me a total eccentric odd ball.
Such as it is, he is my responsibility and his fate is in my hands.  I am keeping him hidden in his new home until a better solution can be found.  I hope and pray for an early thaw when the song of the frogs from the pond announces the coming of spring.  If he is still alive by then I will be happy to release him to the care of his kin.
 In the mean time I am searching the internet for alternative sources of food for this hungry fellow. 
 Another lesson in nature and kindness for the kids. What does he eat?  Where does he live?  What kind of home (habitat) is best suited for him?  When can we let him go?  Where are the other toads staying right now?  Why are they sleeping?  All things to explore as we accommodate our unexpected house guest.
There is one thing I am thankful for in this whole story...crikey mate...I'm darn happy you are not a snake!!!

0 COMMENTS:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment